Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why can't I ever get past small talk when interacting with people?

I find most of the people around my age (being 17) to be somewhat immature, and I can't seem to relate to them at all. I can't stand when I see other guys humping trees, or laughing their asses off at some ';genitalia song';. I have very few ';real'; friends because of it, and I think its because I probably come across as a bit boring to them. I get a long with people fine, but I can never seem to get past small talk for some reason. I know I can offer a lot in a friendship, but it's starting to worry me how I can never really have a real ';conversation'; with someone without being completely uncomfortable or them detecting my fakeness.Why can't I ever get past small talk when interacting with people?
I'm also 17. Same boat as you. I think people my age are immature and think having a good time is through pathetic things like making dirty jokes etc. I think it's pathetic. I'm a bit more mature than that, anyway.



I think it also has to do with being an introvert. I am assuming you, the 17-year-old above me %26amp; me are all introverts. We'd rather communicate with people that understand us and acknowledge who we are on a personal level, than superficially.



I guess we just find it hard to relate to people that are like that. I seem to come off as 'boring' as well, because I don't enjoy interacting with people that are just rude and have a big mouth. LOL. But I have some close friends. I'm alright with 'small talk'. I can handle it. I just talk about the school subject i.e. HSC and I start a good conver. from there.



Also I'm Christian, which makes it harder. I don't go to pathetic Under 18 parties etc. It's so secular. I'd rather find good Christian friends that are socialable and easy to talk to. :)Why can't I ever get past small talk when interacting with people?
Here's a good book for you to check out



Leil Lowndes - How to talk to anyone
u shud maybe just try talking to someone like the person u treally are,who knows maybe the other person might be feeling and doing the same as u.so be urself!
You can start by sharing what you truly feel, and what your interests are. You can e-mail me if you want and start there, tell me what you really feel, what you really like.
I can relate, definitely. I'm 17 as well, and I agree, most people our age are very immature. I have a lot of older friends, and almost no friends my age because I just think they're stupid, frankly (most of them). I'm shy, unfortunately, so I can never seem to get past small talk as well. I get really uncomfortable, like you, and it almost feels like my brain freezes in a conversation because I can't think of something else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment