Friday, November 19, 2010

Feeling uncomfortable around people, even if I know them?

Today was another sub-par day; a day of disappointment if you will. I have many problems to overcome (though, none of them are too severe - thank God - ) and they are all too much for me to handle -- mentally, I'm fragile. In short, people scare me. I'm not frightened that they will harm me, I'm just frightened that they wont accept me as a person. I'm not sure why I feel this way, but mixed in with my insecurities creates a very uncomfortable experience no matter where I am.



I don't know how to interact with people, which is why I have prevented myself from going to public places and from joining sports. For the past few years, I've been feeling this way, though I thought nothing of it. However, something has to change.



I'm tired of getting angry over everything.

I'm tired of feeling uncomfortable in public places.

I'm tired of not being aggressive in sporting activities because I don't want to feel as if I am trying to bring attention to myself.



I just need some light; something is obviously wrong..I hate living like this, and I have the opportunity to change -- I just don't know how.



--ThanksFeeling uncomfortable around people, even if I know them?
Well, you've already taken the hardest step, which is recognizing that there's something you want to change, and realizing that it's possible to do so.



I used to be pretty intimidated by everything as well, but then I decided to just accept myself and quit being overly concerned with what others think of me.



Can you be around your family without being uncomfortable? Is it only around people who you feel you need to prove your worth to? (Not that your efforts don't make a difference to your parents or other relatives - just that, in general, we feel safer at home.)



Maybe you could try going a day without thinking that your problems are ';too much for [you] to handle.'; Telling yourself that will only make it true; give optimism a go. Your attitude and self-esteem just need a little tailoring. =)



Hope I helped. I know your life's not much fun right now.Feeling uncomfortable around people, even if I know them?
You should see a counselor or something. The internet isn't the best way to develop people skills.
you have socialphobia, or the fear of being around people. See a therapist.
You are way, way too self conscious. Take a break, look around. Ask people how their day was and LISTEN. Don't just use something they say as a conversation opener on your problems. Get interested in something besides yourself.
It seems as if you have social anxiety. This means when you get around people you panic maybe even thinking that others think you are weird. You will eventually find your voice and confidence to speak to others if you get proper help. First you need to tell your parents or some adult you can trust. There are millions of people out there with the same conditions you have. You are not alone and you can get help by seeking counseling. It wil change your life and you can began to enjoy it. There's a lot you are missing being anti-social so hurry up and get involved in helping yourself.
It seems to me that acceptance from others is more important to you than it is to most people. While seeking acceptance is legitimate and normal behavior, to have so much riding on the disposition of others towards you that you're too nervous to function around them is not.



There is no quick fix or easy answer for you. You must accept that people will make up their own mind about you and that other than being yourself, there is nothing you can do about that. You can however, remember to tell yourself that acceptance from peers is not as important as you think. Even if someone were to tell you, ';I reject you as a person';, you have to be ok with that. Experiencing some rejection and understanding that it really isn't as big of a deal as you imagine may help you to come to terms with the fact that others' opinion of you is not as important as you think.



Try this; walk down a busy street and people that make eye contact with you, tell them something to the affect of, ';I don't like you'; or ';You are unimportant';. Watch their reactions. Compare their reactions of real rejection with those of your peers that you imagine reject you and see the difference. I think that you'll find your fear of rejection is a bigger problem for you than rejection itself.



This means that the answer is in changing the way that you feel about them, not changing how they feel about you. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment