Friday, November 19, 2010

My Doc has prescribed a psychiatric service dog to help me. Does anyone know how to get one?

My Doc has prescribed a psychiatric service dog to help me. Does anyone know how to get one?

The PSD ASSN says to pay someone $5-10,000 to have someone train a dog for you. There must be a non-profit organization that trains them like they do for the blind and deaf. My old dog (who trained himself) interrupted my dissociative episodes (a real safety issue when you drive) and panic attacks and made sure I took my meds. He also gave me the confidence I needed to leave the house and interact with people. He died last year and I have regressed terribly. I can't work. I have been hospitalized, I'm back on disability and have more frequent debilitizing episodes. I really need a dog. Can anyone help???My Doc has prescribed a psychiatric service dog to help me. Does anyone know how to get one?
I did a bunch of searches and came up with some web sites you may want to check out.



Also try: psychiatric service dogs, training service dogs More...



This is the first item on a Google search of ';Service Dogs';. There were lots of sites listed.



I got this from searching ';psychiatric service dogs';.

Also try: service animal, guide dog, assistance dogs, psychiatric disabilities



There is a lot of stuff to search through. I'm sure there is some kind of national resource/organization for this. Even look into police dogs and see where they get their training. As for non-profit, take a look at ASPCA, Petfinders or local shelters. They might have an animal that could be easily trained. Another search might pull up dog trainers (they would be more expensive}



I also searched on dog trainers and turned up a number of sites including Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer).



This can be a tedious journey, but go through as many web sites as you can and don't give up. There's a dog out there that wants to love you.

I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. I lost two dogs last year in October and December, and it is really a heart wrenching experience.

In the interim, if you can't find a trained dog, go to a shelter and adopt a stray to keep you company. I have been rescuing dogs for about 15 years, and the one thing that seems universal is how grateful these dogs are to have a home where it is warm, with plenty of food and a human to love and take care of them.



The shelter I volunteer with puts dogs in foster homes (like mine) so that we know the temperament of the dog and what kind of family would be best for them. Petfinders would be a good place to start.

I'm including my email address, which is not public, because I would like to hear from you about how you are doing, and to help in any way that I can. I get panic attacks too.

wilkeelna@yahoo.comMy Doc has prescribed a psychiatric service dog to help me. Does anyone know how to get one?
I don't understand what these dogs do besides be your friends? If that is the case why not adopt one from a shelter? If they have to be trained look on the internet. I didn't know they had to. I thought it was just as a companion, that would do the trick for me...just get a smart breed like a lab, collie or retriever mix....something that would de-end on you and get you out of yourself each day. right? Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment