Friday, November 19, 2010

How are mixed people viewed in Japan?

I hear a lot of things about mixed and non-Japanese Asians getting racism. Even my friend who is half got a lot of hassle in Japan. Anyway, I'm European, Native American, Armenian and Yakut. Probably if you looked at me, I look like a strawberry blonde Eastern Asian (I guess mainly because my eyes slant and I have high cheekbones) with blue eyes. I lived in Japan for like a month (but it wasn't like work or school so I didn't really like interact with people on a super personal basis). While I was there, I dyed my hair black and one of my friends gave me brown ';circle lenses'; to try on as a part of a makeover thing. When I had black hair and brown eyes, I used to get asked if I was half a lot. When I had blonde hair and blue eyes, I still get the feeling that they just thought I was Japanese with a dye job. My friend's grandfather upon meeting me told me that Japanese people need to quit dying their hair and that I should dye my hair black too (after I did dye my hair black later, he said that's how Japanese girls are supposed to look). Considering I didn't go out of my way to tell everyone I met I wasn't Japanese or half, I can't really make a decision about race playing a role in how I was treated. So if someone asked my race and I told them, what would they think? Are there a lot of Yakut or Native American people in Japan? Thanks.How are mixed people viewed in Japan?
%26gt;Are there a lot of Yakut or Native American people in Japan? Thanks.



Very few.



If you want to go to school or office in Japan, it depends on how well you can do there, not on your race.



If you are working well and keeping office rules, they will treat you in well manner.How are mixed people viewed in Japan?
I'm thinking that Darvish guy is viewed very very well!
hehe, its just like any other place. Japan is pretty homogeneous, so don't be shocked if they see foreigner, since there are few here and there scattered around. It isnt like many other melting pot nations. I was walking around with a buddy of mine, who was 6'..something, and african american, and children would not stop staring at him, I suppose they arent used to seeing really tall people, one kid even cried, ';kowai!'; and hid behind his parents, haha. Every country has some form of discrimination. You really don't have to worry about any prejudices, just as long as your not kicking and screaming everywhere, since everyone tries not to bring attention to themselves. I have yet to see any native american people, but I wouldnt be surprised if I bumped into one. But usually Japanese are very welcoming people, but like usual there is the one or two meanie. If anything, if they found out about your race, im sure they would want to learn about it as much as you would want to learn about new people you encounter. Have fun. :)
Apparently people who were half black copped quite a bit of racism. However i think that nowadays Japanese are becoming more accepting and many halfies are being seen as beautiful.
It is true that Japan is homogenous country and many of us not used to meet foreigners. Some people will stare them and some children may fear them. But I think it is not racism but the something like astonishment.

About your case I suppose you are too nervous. I've never met you but I suppose you don't look so odd. Many Japanese person, not only girl but also boy, dye their hair red or blonde. Some of my elder friends who are 60 years old dyed their white head brown. People who have slant eyes with blonde hair are not rare. You may merely get glance.

And I would like to say that it is obviously nonsense to dye hair black or wear lenses.



About tradition that your friend grandfather said, I've never heard such curious tradition though I'm native Japanese. About mixed people, it is no problem now. We use to see many actor, actress, news reporter and sport player, on Té”›? However, in your case people may be surprised to hear you have four roots because that is not common in Japan. But soon they will think, ';In America it may be common';.



If my answer has something unpleasant I will apologize. But I hope that you will come to Japan and enjoy. Take it easy.
Japan is the most racist of all the ';developed'; countries. Just switch on the TV and I guarantee that within a minute something will be said about race or nationality.



Japan is also famous for its superficiality, so people will definitely be looking at how your looks are different than others and will judge you by it.



There are no Native Americans in Japan. Japanese hate Native Americans. They see them as the descendants of the losers that left Asia, then too weak to stand up for themselves when Europeans came to the Americas.



Caucasians are generally seen as superior because of the A-bombs that the U.S. dropped in WW2. Strength is always respected in Japan (except for physical strength of women who are supposed to be physically weak).



Japan has nothing to offer the world, so I would suggest forgetting about it. You'll just end up hating yourself and others by spending any time there.
As long as they're not mixed with Black, they'll do alright. Just as good as any other foreigner.

No comments:

Post a Comment