Friday, November 19, 2010

How can I make people more comfortable when they are speaking English to me?

Sometimes at work I interact with people who don't speak English as a first language. I know that they are not stupid just because of that.



Whenever *anyone* can't understand me, I use hand gestures. I think that they get offended when I do that. But even when I don't use gestures, I seem to be doing something that makes them peeved.



Is there something I may be doing to make them annoyed, but I don't realize it? How can I better communicate in a noisy environment and not make people angry?How can I make people more comfortable when they are speaking English to me?
Consider that they may be upset at themselves (and embarrassed) because they can't get their ideas across. They are probably irritated at you (you the generic, not you the specific person in front of them) because it is frustrating to try and communicate and not be successful. Ask other people at work how they handle this. They may have ways that are more successful. Don't assume that because someone seems upset they think you are looking down on them. If it is a single language they use, learn some of the phrases. Also, if there is a particular script or topic you have to cover, consider learning how to say it in that language or get it written down in that particular language to use whenever it is needed.How can I make people more comfortable when they are speaking English to me?
Depends on your hand gestures. Just by saying that you know ';they are not stupid just because of that'; makes me wonder if people could see that you think they're stupid.



Imagine if YOU are visiting or living in another country now, and the person talking to you behave the way you are behaving, would you be peeved?
I don't think there's much wrong with hand gestures, as long as your not doing so aggressively. I think the best way to have a conversation with people who are less than proficient in English is to be incredibly patient, do not try to finish their sentences for them or rush them. Repeat to them how you interpreted their message. I don't think its rude to use more basic English if you are positive they are not completely fluent - just don't talk down to them or treat them like children.
i agree with david, speak basic and also slowly helps.
Just use the age old technique of speaking very LOUDLY and slowly. It always works. 100% guaranteed.
when you come across a language barrier like this hand gestures are really the only way to communicate if you don't know the other language at all. you can try to find someone who can help but if no one is there to help not much else you can do. hand guestures, pointing, or drawing is really the only way else to communication to one another in a language barrier setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment