Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I deal with my social anxiety while working?

I'm 17 and pretty soon I hope to be getting my first job. I really want to work, but my social anxiety might make me nervous while I'm at work. I have trouble interacting with people (mainly strangers or people I don't know well) and I often get nervous when I have to. My shyness doesn't help me much either...



I know most job requires this type of interaction so does anyone have any tips/advice on how I can be less nervous? Thanks! =)How can I deal with my social anxiety while working?
i think i know how you feel, my family owns a restaurant and my mom makes me help out. i'm shy (espically around strangers and people i never talk to before), just like you. and i didn't want to talk to any that i didn't know while i was helping out. but once i did it and wasn't bad and soon enough i was use to it. so just tell yourself ';this isn't going to be so bad'; and once you done it a couple of times you'll get use to it.



look at the BRIGHT side you only have to work there for a couple of hours and soon you know it it'll be time to go home. unlike me i had to stay there for the rest of the day. and who knows you might even be able to make some friends



GOOD LUCK

on your first job and remember to have fun with it =]How can I deal with my social anxiety while working?
Hmm....I imagine that could be quite difficult, trying to hold down a job that involves social interaction while bieng shy.



My advice is that you should just relax and be yourself, if you're doing that then it will help take the nervousness and the shyness away, also when you're interacting with a ';stranger'; or someone you're not fimiliar with then you should try imagining in you're mind that you're talking to a relative or a close friend, that will help stifle your shyness and nervousness.



Hope I Helped
Idid a career in the U.S. Army, and when you get promoted to the higher ranks, you sometimes need to give classes and briefings to large groups of people, some of whom are high ranking military and government officials.

As you might guess, your 'pucker factor' gets way up there. You have teams of people reviewing all of your presentation, you go over it three or four times (It is amazing how three or four people can review a power point presentation, declare it clean and well presented, then some jerk in the back row points out in front of everyone (Generals and congressmen) that your grammar is wrong or you misspelled a word).

What happened early on in my career was we would have to give a short class with a video camera rolling.

We would then review it, and everyone could point out your little idiosyncrasies (looking at the floor, picking your nose, digging in your ear, etc).

What might be a good idea is to do the same thing with family and friends, let them 'roast' you over stupid things you might do, and work on improving yourself.

But, alas, you are going to end up doing really stupid things in front of lots of people.

such is the lessons of life.

Almost every time i had to stand in front of people, my heart would pound, my palms would sweat, and I would shake, even with people I knew, but once I got going, it turned out to be kind of fun (except when some jerk would 'sharp shoot' me).

Just calm down, and be reassured that the people that seem 'over sociable' are over-compensating for being scared s h i t l e s s.

it will be ok.

Some people wont like you no matter what you do, other will accept you for who you are, even if you might seem a little 'odd'.
kyaaa im the same way D:

its sucks, but what i do i kinda dissassociate xD!

not that good but hey, i just think alrighty i gatta get through this, i dont know these people, what am i having for lunch? %26lt;__%26lt;



xD!

and thats pretty much what i do. looking back now three years ago during my first job i used to sit and eat lunch by myself ahahhaa i was cool with it at the time and didnt really give xD! and now i guess im the same but i've been able to actually meet people.



best wishes! and just think positive thoughts

*salutes

No comments:

Post a Comment