Tuesday, November 16, 2010

People with social anxiety - how did you get a job and what kind of work do you do?

I'm 19 with social anxiety disorder, really scared about starting Uni at the end of the year. Been looking for a job but I have no idea how people will want to employ me after interviewing me when I'll be nervous as hell. And if I do get a job, how am I going to cope with talking to people? Tomorrow I need to hand in an application form to Starbucks but it just seems ridiculous that I would ever get a job there. It seems that most places require you to be able to interact with people well..



I thought about cleaning jobs but they all seem to require experience!!People with social anxiety - how did you get a job and what kind of work do you do?
I am having the same problem[Social anxiety],I don't know what to do,thinking about getting a job really makes me anxious because of the interviews and the need to interact with people,

Telling to face the fears is very easy but only a person with anxiety knows how difficult it is to cope with it.

I hope I can find some job where direct communication with people can be avoided as much as possible..People with social anxiety - how did you get a job and what kind of work do you do?
Don't let your anxiety get in the way. Face your fears. As hard as it sounds, the more experience you get, the easier it'll be to handle. Just take deep breathes and just try your best.
i have social anxiety disorder and social phobia with agorophobia and panic attacks and like u cant face getting a job as i know it wud be too much but then i was left poor with no money so i went doctors so many times and ddint wana help me and prescribing some stupid anti depressants that doesnt help with my severe social anxiety so i asked for some klonopin and refused it so i manage to buy my own medication and now take 1mg a day and its helped me severly before i ***** even go out to the shop without feeling so scared and vunreble now i feel calm. please talk to ur doctor and see if he can give u something because its not going to go away on its own.
Many people who have serious cases of social anxiety like those who are afraid to leave their own home simply because they are afraid of experiencing a panic attack or being judged or for whatever reason, they collect disability from the government.

All though I wouldn't recommend you collecting disability cause you need to face your fears head on and overcome them, you need to have it under control to have a job. No matter what kind of job you are doing, people are gonna be there and you will have to interact with them sooner or later. Go get it under control before considering getting a job.
when i was younger i just took jobs where i didn't have to interact with people on a customer service basis. like stocking shelves and warehouse. i've had over 20 temporary jobs from a few weeks to 2yrs at most.

i got over all my problems by going to the self help/improvement section of a bookstore and getting books by like Anthony Robbins and Paul McKenna.libraries usually have some too. i'd just pick up a book and look thru it and if it looked like it would help i would buy it and do the psychological techniques in the books. i would never have thought of that stuff myself as a way to correct my faulty thinking. and it worked quickly and easily.

i've had customer service jobs since and no social anxiety at all.

Starbucks is not somewhere i would work if i had social anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment