Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I help social anxiety when I am too afraid to see a psychiatrist or counselor?

I can't explain it even though I know I have problems interacting with people and it ruins my life and the possibility for meaningful relationships I can't bring myself to see a doctor because the thought of having to confront a person face to face and talk about my problems is too overwhelming to go through with. I don't know what do do. The problem itself prevents me from finding a solution.



Has anyone else had a similar problem?How can I help social anxiety when I am too afraid to see a psychiatrist or counselor?
I can relate to how your feel. I suffer from social anxiety and avoid going to the doctor b/c of it. I find a lot of support online, as it offers the barrier I need to be able to talk to people. Maybe you could find a pen pal that will encourage you. There are a few places that have this online.



I also plan on going to psychiatrist in the next month or so. I think the solution is to just jump in. I not only feel anxious talking to someone face to face, but calling on the phone. In this instance I usually have someone do it for me, and I am not in the room. Perhaps someone could make an appointment for you?



I also like to feel in control on the situation. I know that even if I make an appointment I can still cancel. And even if I go, I can still leave anytime I want. I also know that I don't have to say anything, and that any psychiatrist I go to should understand my apprehension about speaking.



It is all about baby steps to get where you want to go. Maybe try just making the appointment(and canceling). Then try going, but telling the doctor you may not stay the whole time. Then try staying, and maybe talking.



Social anxiety is a hard thing to deal with, but there is always a solution.How can I help social anxiety when I am too afraid to see a psychiatrist or counselor?
I was afraid of it, too. You have to just make yourself go and do it, and it should get easier with time because you'll get to know the doctor better. They'll probably do whatever they can to make you feel comfortable. I know what you mean, though. I don't know the extent of your anxiety, but I know that one of the things I'm most afraid of is talking on the phone. And, obviously, you have to set up the appointment on the phone and sh*t like that...So, yeah. It was hell.
oh, i empathize with you there. i used to be painfully, PAINFULLY socially anxious. i thought it would be embarrassing to go to a therapist, but it got so fed up with my anxiety holding me back from what i wanted to do, that i got over it and went! i've been going for about 10 months, and it's helped SO MUCH. i have a boyfriend, and many more friends, and it's so much easier to talk to people in general! i'd say definitely go for it. it's completely worth it. good luck!!!
How about typing up everything you can think of that the dr will need to know about you, and bring that with you to your first appt? And start the letter with an explanation of how uncomfortable it is for you to talk face to face about your problems. Maybe you can even ask that the dr's chair and your chair are not facing each other. Please don't let your anxiety keep you from going. After the first visit it gets easier, believe me.
It's ironic that just by playing 'games' you can make much more progress with social discomfort and shyness than by taking the issue so ';seriously. But it's absolutely true. Taking a more lighthearted approach always works better in these situations, as you will discover.



This really works. We got it for our teenager 3 months ago and it has taken a shy teenage boy who rarely wanted to interact with anyone to one of the most outgoing fun loving kids I know. As a Dad I just can't tsay enough, I think it really saved him.
  • bird
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment