Sunday, November 21, 2010

Advice on how to interact with homeless people living outside my apartment?

Firstly, I am a kiwi living in France for my studies - I do not speak French, and I have had no interact with the homeless before.

However, just outside my apartment there are about 3 or 4 homeless men. As I was walking home tonight with my doggy bag, and some mandarins in my bag (not eaten from lunch) I thought perhaps I could give the food to them - after all I don't need it as I have plenty of food at home.

However, I stopped, and decided to just keep the food and go home.

Not because I am mean or unkind - but I was unsure about how they would react and I cant understand what they would say to me if they said anything. And also how would they treat me in the futute. Would they expect me to always give them food, what about money? I noticed alcohol bottles around them so maybe they would want money - and when I could not speak French they might get angry with me...

I mean does anyone have any personal experience with this? and if so could you please give me some useful advice.

CheersAdvice on how to interact with homeless people living outside my apartment?
Waist ^^ ( waste ) lol I am an air head...

not your lunch on any you might just get it thrown back at your face. Since you do not speak the language just continue to do so.

I know what you are talking about since I am french and have been exposed to this day in and day out.

In my street it is common and I usually know all the homeless but after a while they are made to move, and different ones come in, it is a constant change.

If you start giving money you are exposing yourself to harassment and perhaps beaten up, so avoid giving in the area you live in...

I always gave but not where I actually lived.Advice on how to interact with homeless people living outside my apartment?
Just be careful and I hope you enjoy France, thank you ;-) I am an air head I spelled waist instead of waste ha ha .

Report Abuse


Don't feed them. That will only serve to reinforce their dependence on strangers. Give them library cards and soap. Seriously.
I would smile at them. Kindness to homeless people doesn't always mean you have to give them some';thing';.



';A smile is a crooked line that straightens everything out!';
either find a way to help them, not just feed them but really help them to help themselves, or leave them alone. And why wouldn't you try to learn french before you had to live there?
first of all they dont have clean water to go with the soap and they could just walk in the library and read there so what you were about to do was fine. Just dont give it to them set it on the ground in front of them and leave if they anything to you just nod as they most likely just be saying thank you.
some homeless still feel like they need to hold on to some dignity, which is why they refuse to accept hand outs. plus there's safety concerns, anyone can give poisoned food.
you're a kiwi?

No comments:

Post a Comment