Friday, November 19, 2010

Why do people say I'm wrong for dwelling on the past EVEN though I suffer Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?

I'm pretty much sure I have it. Also, when I tell people about what's bothering me, they say I'm wrong for DWELLING on the past, but if I suffer PTSD, how can I ignore the mental trauma %26amp; flashbacks? %26amp; they say I use my mental illness as a EXCUSE. My PTSD is also intertwined with my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, which makes things worse. The doctor didn't diagnose me with PTSD, but next time I see her, I'm gonna have to bring this to her attention. My PTSD symptoms are getting worse. Many things are reminding me of my past-from the people who abused me. Because of my past, I STRONGLY fear my future. I'm afraid to interact with people. Besides my OCD, I'm also diagnosed with anxiety, depression, %26amp; Tourette's Syndrome, %26amp; my TS tics are getting worse %26amp; going out of wack. I'm just not diagnosed with PTSD yet.Why do people say I'm wrong for dwelling on the past EVEN though I suffer Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?
You are coping with a lot. I would not talk to anyone about your mental health symptoms but your doctor, your therapist, and people you can trust and be certain will be supportive of you. A lot of people out there don't understand mental health symptoms and are quick to judge, label, and give you unhelpful advice and opinions. You don't want to talk to them. They will not validate your feelings, which you need, and they will only make you feel misunderstood. That feels lousy. So be selective about whom you talk to. Take care.Why do people say I'm wrong for dwelling on the past EVEN though I suffer Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?
I hope someone has a good useful answer to your question as it would be useful to me. People tell me I dwell on my past child molestions. Some say I have to get it all out to get over it yet when I try to get it out I dwelling in the past. I also suffer from depression, anxiety, panic attacks and borderline personality disorder. Good luck.
Talk with your Doctor and counselor about this problem. The reason they say it is not good to dwell about the past is because it interferes with moving on with your future.



Even though it may not be something that you can control, there is help out there to get through this. Ask your counselor and doctor ways of coping with your illness. good luck.
I know what you're going through. I have PTSD. You can't help but dwell on it. All you can do is get help. That is the best thing. No, people are not going to want to listen about the past being repeated over and over again. It's bad to dwell on the past, but that's why you need to see a therapist. It will really help!
Just because the last person was able to deal with PTSD better than most does not mean that it does not exist and does not have to be dealt with. But DON';T talk you self into some thing you might not have. Yes there are people who suffer from PTSD after a traumatic event but not everyone does. You sound like you're trying to make up some more illness to account for the way that you're acting. That's why people are telling you that you're making up excuses for your life. IF you have it you have it you don't have to explain to anyone and if you don't you won't get it now. You need to deal with with what you already have going on. You might also have to thinkabout medication which you don't mention.
There is a difference between dwelling on the past and dealing with it. You need to work through your past. I know it is hard to do, but it is not dwelling when you have not worked through it yet. It is going to be very hard for you because of your anxiety and OCD.



We cannot ignore our past. Someone told me something once that I have always tried to live by. '; Deal with your stuff before it deals with you.'; I have found this to be true. Dealing with our stuff isn't the same as dwelling on it.



Good luck to you. You have been through a lot in your young life and you don't have a stable family to help you. God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment