Friday, November 19, 2010

My puppy is wary of other dogs and people?

Yesterday both of my pugs went to the lake with me and my mum, they were on their flexi leads and we passed an off-lead yorkshire terrier who lunged at our 4 month old pug and growled and bit it and then tried to go for my 8 month old Pug but he didnt get to him because i was in the way but he snarled and lunged and My pug barked at the yorkie in what seemed to be fear or something, i dont know. The owner of the yorkie put it back on its leash and my pups were all freaked out and skittish and barking for a while but soon went back to carrying the sticks they found.



this evening on my walk with the eldest Pug we passed a big dog with an old woman who barked and lunged at my pug and made my Pug do the same thing back. so i got my dog to sit still and focus on the treat in my hand until the dog had passed. on the way back we saw the dog again and i got my pug to lie down next to my feet and wait for the dog to go but how can i make him more confident around other dogs and not to bark. Hell be meeting up with his sister next week who is owned by his breeder, will he recognize her or bark? How can i get him to greet dogs more appropriately rather than barking and getting excited or wary.



With strangers he wont greet them.

When he was a little puppy i took him to town and the first children he had ever seen went up to him and chased him and he was cowering away because they were screaming and running at him and they carried on so ever since that hes hated children. Today some kids came up to the dogs and the youngest didnt pay much attention but mine barked and ran at them and bowed. The kids would run away and tease him which is frustrating. How can i get him to like people in the street more? They dont seem to understand. I told them he doesnt bite and they said 'yeah, right'. They make it worse with teasing him.

Yesterday some woman put her hand down for him to sniff and he sniffed and backed away with his ears back and looked fearful.



What can i do? The only thing hes done bad to a living thing was eat a spider that was on my bed. he wouldnt bite. I take him to training classes and he doesnt want to interact with people there very much. He gets to play with other puppies but wont approach them or go to the middle of the room without me, i have to walk to the puppies and hell follow. hell chase them and bow but when they chase him hell get panicky and run to me and try paw at my legs but i ignore him so hes never actually had contact with any other dogs.



How can i make him want to greet people?

Greet dogs?My puppy is wary of other dogs and people?
He's just a puppy and it's a big new world to him. He will adjust in time. I'm sure all of the new things are confusing and a little overwhelming to him right now. The house is a familiar place to him that's why he isn't scared.My puppy is wary of other dogs and people?
Try dog parks. The dog wisper is a show on animal planet that teaches about dogs. I also blame the yorkie. As for the people try keeping people around he will get better.



P.S good choice on the pugs
My dog is like that. I'm guessing your dog was fine with the people who came to your house the second time because he knew them more. There's not much you can do in this situation. Just get him around people more and over time he'll become more confident. It's working with my dog. With the dogs just carry on like you are you're dog must be very well trained! Give him a treat or pet him when he stops or doesn't bark and he'll soon catch on. It just takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment