Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My concerns about Sweden...people and life?

Hi guys,



So I am in Sweden for 2 months. I came here to au pair for a year while I continue with Mathematics and Statistic majors.



I was really looking forward to my time here. Learning about a different country etc. So here's the thing...almost every information I have researched on Sweden so far..comments on race and people and colour etc almost always seem to seep it's way in my research. For example I am interested in learning about Swedish folkdance and looked it up on youtube. there were comment on ';100% swedes and asians';...I am not sure what that has to do with DANCE. anyway, I then decided to research racism in Sweden..gosh..you really don't want to know what I found then.



My personal experience so far is fine. People of the country seem very polite, but because of these research etc I have been limiting myself from truly having a great time here.



I am a South African female of Indian descent. I am educated and open to all cultures and race etc. I really don't care about people's colour but their mentality.



I guess I am wondering how to interact with people here? Normally I guess.



Please share your views and comments (no hate speech please) I would love if people could engage in constructive dialogue about people and life in Sweden??? Thanks.My concerns about Sweden...people and life?
Almost any internet search, regardless of country, will come up with inappropriate content (unless you filter them), you just cannot count on internet searches. Also the racists and bigots in the world seem to thrive in the anonymous setting of the internet, thus being over-represented. Research racism in any country and you'll find shocking and terrible reports, Sweden is far from the worst.



Go with your personal experience, interact with people normally, and don't judge them based on their nationality and looks, just like you don't want to be judged based on yours. I do think it's a pity that you're holding back. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.



I'm Danish, but do not look Danish and I've encountered all of 4 racistic remarks in the 30 years I've lived here, so that's an average of one comment shouted at me on the street every 7,5 years, two of these delivered by little old ladies. Never had any problems with the Swedes I've met.My concerns about Sweden...people and life?
I'm sure not all swedish are racists, don't limit yourself. Go out and have a great time and meet some new people while you're there, you may not get to back again.
lol
l have many swedish friends and l do not find them racist at all.l don't think you should be worried either.

Swedish people are polite and you should not trust information you found on the internet.



Sweden is a beautiful country.lnstead of doing a research,go and explore a country,travel and make some friends!
I agree completely with Voelven.



If you like researching about racism in Sweden read this one:

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/odd鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment