Thursday, October 28, 2010

Is it rude to not say hello or acknowledge people at work when you pass them in an empty hallway?

It seems like I am always passing senior managers at work in long empty hallways. It is just them and me. I say hello but usually get no reply. Maybe I am to low on the corporate organizational chart to be acknowledged.



Is it them you is rude or me for bothering someone who is so high up and important? Maybe they think I am brown nosing.



How do you interact with people who are higher ups at work who you pass in the hall?Is it rude to not say hello or acknowledge people at work when you pass them in an empty hallway?
Yes I think it is rude and I think it shows that they lack basic social graces. Any decent manager would acknowledge any employee, from their own PA to the person who cleans the toilets.



I used to work with a woman who would say hello the first time people saw her that day but who would avert her eyes and completely ignore them each time they passed her after that. I don't know what her problem was but it got her a reputation of being a complete weirdo.



You could try doing what a friend of mine did with a rude neighbour. His neighbour would avoid speaking so one morning when he was in his garden, he said 'good morning' when he saw the guy - no response as usual, so he said 'stupid ignorant git' (or words to that effect....which I can't print here!!) and the guy said 'what did you say', so he said 'oh, you heard that then' and just walked off. The guy used to acknowledge him after that LOL - so if you're feeling really annoyed you could always try that (ha ha, I'm joking - save that one for if you find another job and it's your last week at this place).



But don't stop smiling or saying hello. You're polite - they're all just ignorant.Is it rude to not say hello or acknowledge people at work when you pass them in an empty hallway?
i say good morning to the people in my office. i don't say hello to everyone i see. only a selective few. everyone else i ignore.



it is rude of them not to acknowledge you after saying hello. i don't care how high their rank is, rude is rude. we are all humans.
Don't stop doing it because you don't get a response. They may notice that you are friendly and professional even though they don't acknowledge it. And that may help at evaluation time!
I just stand in front of them, and with the biggest smile on my face say to them ';good morning'; out loud and they do respond, trust me !
It is rude to not say hello, and your superiors are just that. Keep saying hello. Greetings are important. If you stop saying them, you stoop their level of rudeness.
keep saying hi. its them with the problem. now if it was the office jerk off give him the finger.
I say hi to the people I know and give a friendly smile to those I don't. Usually they then say hello. If they dont then screw them.
You're polite to do so.Don't you worry about them ,keep on doing things right and you'll have their job.Oh and when you have their job continue at being what you are a, real leader.Stay nice,God rewards the good eggs.God bless.
Actually I think it is impractical to keep greeting work colleagues, and it becomes awkward. I say good morning once to everybody when I first see them during the day, and goodnight when I am leaving at the end. Otherwise I don't speak or greet unless I have something pressing to say. Rude? I don't think so.
First thing you should understand is that you are as equally important being in the position you hold. Just because you are not a senior executive does not make you less important, and being kind does not cost a thing, you be yourself no matter who the person is, let it be there problem if they choose not to respond to your greeting. You have a gift to be kind and that exceeds them no matter the position. Just remember: we are all in this world together, trying to make a living, nobody is better than anybody else, just because they have a higher title, they are still human.



Stay kind - it is a gift that you have been given, maybe you will pass it on to them someday.
Don't take it personally, one company I worked at was the same way; some of the execs were pleasant others weren't just ignore it. Probably best not to say anything, maybe a nod.

No comments:

Post a Comment