Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do you interact with senior managers at your company?

I work for a very large company that has dozens of levels of managers. What happens is my boss has like a dozen levels of bosses over him. I wonder what they all do all day. But some of them are paid in the millions and have indirectly hundreds of people who report to them. These are very high level people.



How should I interact with my bosses bosses bosses boss when I see him in the hall? How do you interact with people who are three or more levels above you in the organizational chart? Should I start small talk with them when I see them in an elevator?How do you interact with senior managers at your company?
As a person who has worked at the bottom and towards the top of a large organization, I would start with a smile and a polite greeting. Pay attention to non-verbal cues. If the person is walking by, but not looking directly at you, just smile in case they give you a glance.If the person gives you eye contact, smile and give a polite greeting like ';good morning';. I would wait for them to start small-talk.



Many good things can be accomplished by being ';that person'; in the hallway and elevator that ';always is smiling'; or is ';friendly';, because you never know when you may be noticed, just for standing out in the crowd. This is the same reason why you always want to look your best when going to work. No need to over-dress, just dress appropriately and think every day could be the day that you are making an impression.How do you interact with senior managers at your company?
For sure!



You have to think that at one point or another they were in the same position as you were.



I work for a very large company myself and whenever I see the president I always make small talk with him, he happens to be a very down to Earth guy and though I am not even close to where he is in the company, he treats me as if I was on the same level as him.



Note some people will be ***** and not even look up at you, but hey at least you tried.
I work for the same type company and have always worked for large oranizations. Your just a number, they don't care about you or your family. Do 100 things right and they will never notice, but do one thing incorrect and they will remember forever and they down size, don't be supriced if they don't say ';goodbye'; or ';good luck.';



Keep a low profile and talk, be friendly to the people who are nice/friendly to you.



If they ever get on top maybe (but most likey not) they will remember your kindness.
It wouldn't hurt to start some friendly chit-chat. Just smile when you pass them and say ';Good morning/afternoon, Mr. Lastname.'; If they have any social skills and care about their employees, they'll remember your face and maybe a name.
First of all...with that many bosses nobody will even miss you when your're not there.....take extra long lunches from now on and act like you are everybody elses boss...they will just think you are a higher level boss than they are....announce your self company czar...then fire everybody you don't like

No comments:

Post a Comment