Friday, October 22, 2010

Can turtles interact with people, how much attention is the right amount for a turtle ?

I have just been feeding and cleaning my daughters turtle pet which she left with us when she joined the Navy. Recently, I thought maybe I'm not being kind to the turtle because I do not play with it, or talk to it much. She seems to watch me. I'm just wondering what else should I do for this turtle.Can turtles interact with people, how much attention is the right amount for a turtle ?
Yes, most turtles like interaction. Some prefer we just drop the food and go away. Captive bred torts are much friendlier since they have never had to fear us. Water turtles learn very quickly who feeds them.. and some will allow you to ';pet'; them, but most of them prefer not to be touched. I have wood turtle I raised since hatchling that comes over and sees what I have, but freaks out if I try to touch her..funny..



I have a box turtle that will let me to scratch her shell IF I HAVE FOOD but runs away otherwise.. I have Red-footed tortoise I have raised since tiny baby.. he will pace back and forth until I come over and say hi.. I know of a young Sulcata tortoise that sleeps at the foot of the owner's bed like a dog.Can turtles interact with people, how much attention is the right amount for a turtle ?
Turtles do not play, they do not hear well, and they do not need, want, crave, like, or understand human attention. They do not have the cognitive ability or emotional depth.

They are wild animals. They recognize people as a provider of food, and often appear excited at feeding time. Many beginning turtle keepers mistake this for affection, but once they've been fed, they prefer to be left alone.
You can play tricks!



well it is possible but you have to train it as soon as it is 1 year old. ther is one trick that i thought my turtle and it is two words that will make the turtle hide in his shell. You have to tell the turtle hide and push his shell down. If you keep doing that for about a month when you tell him hide he or she will hide in the shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment