Thursday, October 28, 2010

I feel like i don't know how to interact with people...?

I am already well into college. But I still feel like I don't know how to interact with people. I'll try explaining.

I am in a cooking class. We have to work in groups because there isn't enough kitchen space. Now, I am really helpful. If anyone needs anything, like ingredients mixed or dishes washed, I volunteer. I really go out of my way to help others out. I guess I'm somewhat of a pushover.

Well, when I mix things together or when someone puts me in charge, I am very cautious to follow the recepie and not mess things up. That slows me down a bit. Then I am always asking people where they want me to put say a cookie sheet out of the oven or something else. Well, point is, I ask people a lot of what they want me to do.

I don't know why I always ask. It's like I don't want to mess things up. That's why I want direction. I try to take things into my own hands but i end up asking questions anyway.

I guess people think I am really stupid. Sometimes they make fun of me (or it might be sarcasm, i can't tell). And it's not just in my cooking class. It's like that with many other areas in my life. I keep asking people for help, advice, or direction.



Therefore I feel like I am going to fail in life. Like who would want to hire someone who can't take charge themselves? It was like that a taco place I worked. I'd always ask questions, not wanting to mess up. I could tell people got tired of me and annoyed.



I don't know how to get out this habit. Sometimes I get really down because at this stage in life people around me are taking charge and moving forwards. I am just stuck, asking people questions. Maybe they are more confident, i don't know. But I'd like to be able to just interact with people on a normal basis, showing them that I am smart and can think for myself.



help...I feel like i don't know how to interact with people...?
Sounds like you have ';socially anxiety disorder';.. I have it, and ';people pleasing behavior'; is one of the traits, comes from perfectionism, being afraid to let others see you fail or mess up and them getting mad at you. Try not to worry what they think, and don't ALWAYS volunteer or they'll use you and see you as a flunky. Be confident, even if you gotta fake it and feel free to put the cookie sheet on my kitchen counter mmm thanks :0)I feel like i don't know how to interact with people...?
To me it sounds like you know what you are doing that turns people off. However, you don't know why you can't change yourself into a more self-directed person other than that you feel you might mess up. You shouldn't be so afraid of messing up as everyone messes up occasionally. The person who doesn't care if they mess up is more fun to be with. But your fear of messing up comes from somewhere, like growing up with parents always being critical if you did something wrong. In this connection I remember that when I was beginning to drive, one time I was driving with my mother in the passenger seat and I didn't see a red light until it was too late and I hit the car in front of me after screeching on the brakes. Luckily no real damage was done but feeling bad about it I told my mother that she should drive the rest of the way. She said to me, ';No, you just keep on driving';. I felt she had confidence in me after my 'messing up' and I have been a confident driver ever since. That is just one example of how parents should be, but many aren't. In order to get over your fear, I think therapy is the best way, even group therapy can help a lot. Or sometimes you can be lucky enough to find a best friend who doesn't have the same problem and you can learn from them. Try to learn to take a 'Devil may care' attitude. People like that tend to have a crowd of admirers around them.
Ach!.



well, you might try taking a few minutes before going out every day to review the choices you will have to make after stepping out of the door. Often just thinking about a problem will lead to the answer, and there is no need to fear small mistakes, so going with a gut feeling isn't always a bad thing either.That is what I do, generally.
lol, sounds like you got a pretty introvert personality.



try to be a bit more active, and you will find your self-confident growing. at least it worked for me.



===

by more active, i mean to exercise more, and to go outside and do activities more...

No comments:

Post a Comment