Friday, October 22, 2010

How do you correctly interact with people of Chinese origin?

I apologize if I seem ill informed or racist for asking this question. However I am privy to the fact that there are differences in ettiquette between western and eastern cultures. My boyfriend is half Chinese and his family mostly goes to functions for his Chinese side and interacts with Chinese relatives. According to him his family is purely Cantonese.



I have already attended a wedding and its reception for his family. If a Chinese individual or an expert on the social norms of this culture would please provide tips it would be much appreciated.How do you correctly interact with people of Chinese origin?
My wife is cantonese and I am caucasian I will have to generalise as you haven't asked anything specific.



They are very polite but not very frank when talking to you, they are perfectionists and not pragmatists, so they will often hide or gloss over bad things. Saying no or refusing someone a favour is a very bad thing, so if you don't want to do something you must make an excuse and not just say no.



If you can't use chopsticks ask for a knife and fork because you will make a spectacle of yourself while eating with them, keep your hands visible while at the table, do not rest your hands on your lap. I recomend having a packet of napkins with you at a meal, because if you have sauce on your chin you are expected to clean it quickly and not with your sleeve.

If you do eat with chopsticks I recommend avoiding foods with bones.

Smile a lot

These are just a few things, if you were more specific I could help further.How do you correctly interact with people of Chinese origin?
throw rice at them
Simply be yourself, and be polite, and ask your boyfriend if there is anything special you will be required to do differently.



What I do with ANYONE I don't know is observe what they do and imitate. Can't go wrong there. If it's wrong, they'll let you know.



They probably know you will be a little different than themselves. :-)
just be yourself...I am sure they will not change for you.
watch wayne's world, i think his girlfriend in it is cantonese and maybe you'll pick some up
I like what October Girl said: you should simply be yourself, and be polite, and ask your boyfriend if there is anything special you will be required to do differently.



I also think you should keep the dating closer to your own blood line for your own family and childrens sake. Remember and be proud of you and your own family traditions,
  • band myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment