Friday, October 22, 2010

How to interact with people from my parent's generation?

Hi everyone, any advice would be appreciated greatly.

I'm at a crossroads in my life. I recently graduated from college and have started working full time. I haven't quite mastered the art of dealing with those of my parents' generation and kindly request your help.



At work, I am perfectly comfortable with dealing with coworkers of all ages, because I feel that in that environment, we are all equals, and we are all professionals with work as common ground.



However, when I am in other social settings, such as in church, I feel awkward dealing with people from my parents' generation. This is because they are with their children, who are often just a few years younger than me. And I often get the impression that the parents expect me to be friends with their kids more than be friends with them.



I don't really know how to deal with this, so please let me know what I should do! Thanks!How to interact with people from my parent's generation?
Wow, I remember being in that situation. I went to a Christmas party with my parents. There were many relatives there. The older generation and the kids. I was in between and basically sat on the stairs and watched everyone thinking about this. The younger ones were dancing and the older ones were visiting and talking about grandchildren. After the party, I discussed how awkward I felt with my mom. She said that I was indeed at a cross-roads, not a teen and not middle aged.....the best thing to do is be gracious and friendly to everyone and then go find friends who are where you are in life.How to interact with people from my parent's generation?
Well you know that you don't have to be friends with anyone that you don't want to be friends with. You are grown now.Just keep on doing your own thing but be polite.
an older generation is no different from various groups of people with different interests/beliefs. You relate to them with what you know and find common ground. You'll find that there is probably more common ground than you think.
First of all stop putting so much pressure on yourself to make friend with thier kids. Second treat them with R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

No comments:

Post a Comment