Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do you interact with people you perceive as smarter than you?

I'm not incredibly insecure, but there's nothing I hate more than being looked at and judged constantly. I'm a guy that likes to ask a lot of questions because I love to learn, and even though I'm a pretty quick learner most times, sometimes it takes me a couple times to grasp a concept or task. It's because of this that sometimes I feel ';overly intelligent'; people tend to judge me or even consider me incompetent (that might be a stretch but you know how people can be).



What do you do in those situations? How do you interact with smarter folks without appearing... well... dumb? lolHow do you interact with people you perceive as smarter than you?
I guess it depends on what the subject is. Asking questions will not make you look stupid. If you're talking to someone about a specific subject, say neurology, and you honestly don't know anything about it, and asked questions that wouldn't make you look stupid. However, if you try to say something that you think sounds right at the time or you something random about the subject, and you have no backing or you are not able to elaborate upon what you said you run the risk of sounding stupid if you get caught in the act of bullshitting, and not really knowing anything, if you feel what I'm saying. Never jokingly tell someone you feel stupid, or say to them you are stupid (eg 'sorry, im dumb!'), because that'll make them think you ARE stupid. Always act well rounded and intelligent. Act reserved and hold comments or questions about something until you are positive about what you're saying. Be confident in yourself, not in the specific subject, but in general. Never believe someone is more intelligent than you. You are on the same intellectual par as everyone else. Believe it. You are not inferior to anyone. This way when you put your comments in, or ask questions, they are appropriate and sound right, being you won't fell like you're talking to someone who is superior to you. When you're about to say something, always remember you run the risk of being examined, whether it be to engage in conversation of just for the entertainment of the other person (if they think you are just bullshitting). It seems to me based on the way you are aware of the fact you don't know everything, and the way you phrased the question with competence overall, you can talk with anyone, intelligence not being a factor. Confidence without douchebaggery is key.How do you interact with people you perceive as smarter than you?
I'm liking your realization that it is your perspective that is what's controlling the situation, as the same as it is for all of us even now. What it really comes down to are a person's thoughts during that interaction. Are you thinking more about what the other person is thinking of you or are you thinking more about what you have to say and being true to your own self and your own values? I guarantee you'll feel much more satisfied with the latter than the former. It has a lot to do with expectations of what's to come, it guides what you wind up seeing by default - without thinking. Go into the conversations and be yourself, stick to your morals. Let everything else be the other's opinion. If they don't like it, they'll deal with it. It's their choice not to like it. Not yours, and you don't have any obligation to handle their choices.
Just be yourself, don't worry about what they think. Odds are, they don't think you are stupid. I can't ever really remember being in a regular conversation with a person and thinking, wow they are stupid.
If they do judge you as intelectually incompetent, then they're what I'd call mediocre brainiacs.



I wouldn't worry too much about those people if I were you. They are people who by some stroke of luck got to the middle level and are stuck there. They can't go upwards anymore and can only get satisfaction by belittling people they think are below them.



In my experience, real intelligent people are enthusiastic, especially when they think they can help you. Ask them questions as many as you want, they love sharing their knowledge with you!



Congratulate yourself that you're someone who is learning and learning. That's how you're always going to climb up.
if they can learn faster than me, without any preparation, and seem smarter in more than one field, then I will consider being around people of the same level as me. For this will keep damaging my self-esteem.
  • okay for teenagers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment