Sunday, December 11, 2011

How do I pick the right major? College Professors and Doctors(or pre students) read!?

I'm a college student not sure of my major patrly because I'm not sure its the right one for me. I am a type who is multifaceted. i planned to be a College Prof. and when I talked to my current professors, they told me although the job is great, it's a hard road on the way to getting a Master's or a Doc. degree. I feel passionate about the conection I feel when i interact with people on an intellectual level, whether I am listening or talking. Now, on the other hand, my mother wants me to bea doctor. She says I'll always have a job, and I wil be independent. The surplusses ofbeing a doctor is 1)the money 2)job security 3)helping ppl. I can do it, but I'm wondering..If I'm not passionate about something now,is there a chance I can learn to love it in the future? Will the money make anything better? I know money isnt everything, but barely surviving is a lot worse. My main perception of doctors are helpers of ppl. College Profs. tell me about ur job experiences.How do I pick the right major? College Professors and Doctors(or pre students) read!?
Being retired from 31 years of college teaching, I might have a thought or two on the subject of majors and of teaching college.

First, don't kid yourself about the money in being an M.D. You'll leave medical school for a couple years of poorly paid interning, and saddled with large student loans. Once you have a practice or residency, you'll find that insurance premiums are taking a significant fraction of your income--actually worse than taxes.

But you cannot just say, I like to operate on an intellectual level. History you say? Do you mean American? Modern European? Medieval? Ancient? Nonwestern? Are you prepared for the languages each of these requires for an advanced degree? An M.D.? Research, hospital, private practice, a specialty? Each has different degrees of job security, income, and working with the public. Are you prepared to work with a public that includes people who will actively ignore your advice? How do you feel about treating a child you know will die soon?

I'm throwing all these questions out because you need to give this far more serious thought than I believe you have done. My considered opinion (and this is one I've given dozens of times over the years to students similar to yourself) is to take a fairly general major now--say something like anthropology. Medical schools do not expect all applicants to have majored in human anatomy (especially since on the college level it isn't a major LOL), so your options will remain open. Take a wide range of courses in different areas. Get involved in extracurricular activities. I had two friends in my undergraduate days who worked on the school radio station, and went on into the broadcast industry, even though when they started college neither had any intention of doing that.

And show my advice to your mother!!How do I pick the right major? College Professors and Doctors(or pre students) read!?
I'm an RN who works around doctors all the time. Doctors get calls in the middle of the night on a regular basis, they are always working. They work all week, seeing patients in their office, then they have to visit their clients in the hospital after that. Then they are on call on the weekend and they get calls, they gotta even take their cells phones with them to church. They don't have alot of free time at all, mainly just to sleep.



Their jobs are so demanding that their family life suffers. They have beautiful homes but they are rarely there. They have lots of money, but they don't have time to go out and spend it. They don't have much time to enjoy themselves. Plus, also remember the extremely high malpractice insurance they are required to pay and chances of getting sued.

No comments:

Post a Comment